Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Uptown Westerville Farmers' Market: Jane Varley's October 22nd Market Report

As the season winds down I am busy making jams using autumn fruit. Next week I will have Sweet Apple Butter (for those who like it a bit sweeter than my standard apple butter). I hope to also have Cranberry Apple Butter, Pear Butter, and Crabapple Jelly. But that is all for next week.

This week, I am introducing a new jam, Hot Plum Jam. No there isn’t a special variety called a “Hot Plum”. This is a sweet plum jam that has the fire of added hot peppers. It goes great with cheese or as a glaze for pork or poultry. You can also make a wonderful appetizer “Hot Plum Brie en Croute” – click on the recipe or see the recipe section for instructions on how to make this simple, but impressive hors d’oeuvre.

I am also announcing the return of a favorite, Blackberry Triple Sec Jelly. This is a full sugar blackberry jelly with the added nuance of orange supplied by Triple Sec liqueur.

I will be bringing the following jams and jellies: Black Raspberry Jelly, Black Raspberry Jam, Blackberry Jelly, Blackberry Triple Sec Jelly, Spiced Plum Jam, Hot Plum Jam, Spiced Tomato Jam, Apple Butter, Low Sugar Blueberry, Low Sugar Brandied Plum, Low Sugar Crabapple Jelly, Low Sugar Strawberry, Tomato Basil, Mango Chutney, and Hot Mango Chutney.

I will be bringing the following breads: Challah loaf, Lemon Swirl, Orange Swirl, Cinnamon Swirl, Whole Wheat, and Totally Wheat. I will also be bringing Cardamom Orange Swirl, a new creation. For those of you who are familiar with my Orange Swirl, I would love to hear your opinion about this new variation. Stop by and have a taste.

Jane

Varley Valley Products
614.523.0754

No comments:

Post a Comment