Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Uptown Westerville Farmers' Market: Varley Valley Products September 24th Market Report

It's market day in Uptown Westerville!

Jane Varley of Varley Valley Products (delicious breads and jams) shares:

My power is finally back on so I have been baking up a storm. I will have the following breads: challah loaf, orange swirl, lemon swirl, cinnamon swirl, cinnamon raisin swirl, parmesan herb white, whole wheat, totally wheat, and
parmesan peppercorn wheat.

I will be bringing the following jams and jellies: Black Raspberry Jelly, black raspberry jam (half of the seeds removed), strawberry peach, strawberry rhubarb, and spiced tomato. I am bringing the following low sugar jams and jellies: Blueberry, brandied plum, strawberry, spiced plum, tomato basil, mango chutney, and hot mango chutney.

As some of you know, I live smack in the middle of a large woodlot. I was very lucky with the windstorm. Although I lost a huge red oak and two shagbark hickory trees, none of them were near the house or driveway. Like many people, I was without power for about 5 days. However, I am blessed with incredible neighbors. My next door neighbors, Steve and Renata Snyder were kind enough to offer me power from their generator (which they had borrowed from a friend from bible study). They could have chosen to use all of the power themselves so that they would have more conveniences (like a stove or microwave). Instead, they offered to power my refrigerator/freezer and my big freezer, along with one light and a TV (they used the remaining power to power the exact same things in their house). Because of this, I did not lose any food. I am lucky to live in a real (although small) community. Steve mows my lawn for me (a huge help because of my bad knee). His son cleans my gutters and blows leaves off of my roof. Other neighbors plow my 350 foot driveway for me. Several neighbors will look after my 4 dogs if I have to be away too long. Three of the men in the neighborhood help me with home fixit stuff and heavy things. Another neighbor uses their van to transport large things that I need to buy. And the list goes on and on – I am truly blessed.

Jane Varley
614-523-0754

No comments:

Post a Comment